Friday, June 17, 2011

Marfa Fashion Shoot Part 2 - Geek Chic

Darlings,


As promised, Kayla has put up part 2 of our Marfa shoot
{Check it out here}
We couldn't decide what to name this section... She thought Boho chic, which I love. But for my post, I decided to go with "Geek chic" - tell me if you agree. Being from Austin, I am WAY familiar with geek chic/hipster style. ;) But really, I like both labels.


For this section of the shoot, Kayla and her hubs, Clint had scouted out some amazing locations. Let's get started!




1. This first outfit was the first of the day. Michelle was still getting her modeling feet wet - she transitioned into a glamazon like a pro. For the beginning, we kept it simple - a cool chair on the main road, and a red bicycle that was near Kayla's hotel.


This outfit was so fun - a shirt from Dillards that was drapey and casual. With the little peep of shoulder, it was sexy. Michelle wore her own shorts and shoes, as well as a pretty rad vest from the late 80's that my mom gave me.
With the outfit being casual, I gave her a classic look. For the eyes, I started with Bare Escentuals eye powder in Desire all over the lid. It created a great light shimmer base, onto which i added a shimmer brown (from a cheap kit I bought at Ross for $4! I will tell you more about my makeup philosophies later, but know one thing - your powders can be pretty cheap as long as you have good brushes). The brown defined the crease and made her eyes oh-so-deep. I lined the top and bottom lids with both a dusting of Desire and a thin, smudgy line of the brown. 
I accented the bow of the lips, the bridge of the nose, and the inner corders of the eyes in Clinique's Daybreak shadow.
Then came the fun part - Falsies. I used Ardelle Fashion Lashes and a dark coloured adhesive. You will see in the "Behind the scenes" video, I used a bobby pin to press them gently onto the lash line.
This makeup look created a great base to build upon as we progressed into more dramatic looks.





2. Our second outfit was another Bestey Johnson outlet find. I put it with some Dolce Vita for Target wedges, which I loved for this outfit. Her jewelry was part Stella & Dot {the earrings}, with a vintage bracelet and locket.

Kayla had spotted a couple of great locations for this outfit - an old Airstream trailor, which was so romantic...



And a house that was in ruins. It was a perfect contrast to the bright, flirty look we had going. Kayla did an amazing job capturing that contrast.



3. This outfit was maybe my favorite... We shot out by some old Army barracks as the sun was going down... It was FREEZING, but while Kayla and I were complaining and shivering, Michelle kept it cool and posed like Tyra. She even took off her jacket for a few shots! Brave woman..
She wore a sequin dress that I found in a vintage store a few years ago - I bought it for $14! I paired it with a navy blazer from J. Crew several seasons ago. Again she wore her own shoes, and I added a Stella&Dot necklace. 

 I fluffed up her hair and shook it out. it was big, bold, and sexy. Her natural curls were a major asset for this shoot.
The makeup was a riff on the starting makeup, plus deep plum shadow and a more severe blush.




4. Our final location was almost an accident - the sun was going down FAST, and we barely made it to this bridge in time. We had to do wardrobing in the car. :)

This is, to me, the epitome of Geek Chic. Doesn't she look cute?

She is wearing another thrift store find - a 90's Donna Karen dress that I cut shorter. We used no extra jewelry - she is just wearing her friendship bracelets and wedding ring. 
I kept her hair down and teased it up huge, then added a vintage hair clip that belonged to my friend's grandmother.
We did red lips, and BAM, beautiful, nerdy perfection. 



And so concludes the Marfa Fashion Shoot. Be sure to contact me if you need styling services, and contact Kayla Barker to do your photos! We made quite a team, if I do say so. ;)Check out Kayla's blog for more gorgeous photos.
I hope you enjoyed this series as much as I enjoyed styling it!  



xoxo,
dash



No comments:

Post a Comment