Monday, January 10, 2011

The skinny... photo, that is.

Hello, you fantastic babes! I hope Monday is treating you well.

I was looking at my photos from my Italy trip, and realizing how crucial a good photo can be for one's self-esteem... You know it. Especially at this time of year, when everyone feels a little chubs.

So, I think it is a good idea to take a minute to talk about what makes a good (or bad) photo.

Here I am  - looking less-than-premium:
that's me on the right.
Not so cute? Eh? 

You will notice that this photo is taken from below us. NEVER a good idea...
Even if i "tuck my chin" and such, there is no way to be pretty like this. Squinty eyes, dead arms, scrunched face. Nope.

Here is me looking... significantly better:




Not taking into account the magically better photo quality, you will notice that my eyes are more open. My chin is tilted a a much better angle. I am not making a stupid face.

So, even though me chin isn't "tucked," I look better in this photo. 
You know what it takes? Seriously?
You have to sit in front of a mirror for a hundred hours making faces. When you think you have it, you don't. Find a friend - make her take photos. Assess the best ones. Figure out how to replicate that face/position/attitude.



You may think you know the rules. But you must take into account your face shape - I have a really angular chin, coming out of a really soft face. I had to learn to work it. My friend Laurs, on the other hand, has almost no chin. So, when she tried to tuck it, she got turtle face. No good.
We literally sat for twenty minutes one night, taking and assessing photos. Now, she knows her photo-face. Which is good, because she is as gorgeous in pictures now as she is in real life.

Taking the time to figure it out is so worth it. :)

This week, let's talk about how to feel skinny and cute even with the post-holiday hibernation bloat. 


Do you have any questions/suggestions on taking a great photo? I would love to hear from you. 



xoxxo
dash

No comments:

Post a Comment